David M. Kern
After graduating from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as a John Motley Morehead Scholar and Phi Beta Kappa, David Kern earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law. He has been a member of James, McElroy & Diehl since 1978.
David’s practice deals almost exclusively with domestic relations matters, including child custody, child support, alimony, and equitable distribution of marital property. He is a board certified specialist in Family Law, State Board of Legal Specialization.
A native of Winchester, Virginia, David and his wife, Tori, are the proud parents of teenage twins. David is an active member of the Charlotte community and currently serves as the co-chair of the Family Law Committee for the Mecklenburg County Bar. He has also held leadership positions with several local civic organizations, and served as the Senior Warden for Christ Episcopal Church. In his spare time, David enjoys sports of all kind, particularly tennis.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1978
- B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1975
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Board Certified Specialist in Family Law, State Board of Legal Specialization
- Named to the “North Carolina Super Lawyers” 2010-2017 editions – Family Law
- Named 2009 & 2010 editions of Business North Carolina “Legal Elite” – Family Law
- Named to the “North Carolina Super Lawyers 2008”, published by Law & Politics and Charlotte Magazine – Family Law