Edward T. Hinson, Jr.
Ed Hinson began his practice as an Assistant District Attorney in Charlotte. In just over four years as a prosecutor, he was lead counsel for the state in a number of jury trials, including several capital murder prosecutions, embezzlements, rapes, armed robberies and other serious crimes.
In 1981 Ed joined James, McElroy & Diehl, where his trial practice comprises both civil and criminal matters in state and federal courts. His practice also includes frequent representation of lawyers and law firms, physicians and other medical professionals, as well as business leaders and their companies before regulatory bodies, arbitration panels and the FINRA. Ed appreciates the importance of his clients’ privacy and, due to his discretion in handling sensitive matters, often his cases have escaped public attention.
Ed is a member of numerous bar organizations, and was elected to the American College of Trial Lawyers in 2003. He is active in his community and currently serves on the North Carolina Judicial Standards Commission, the board of directors of the McLeod Center, the Advisory Board of the UNCC Center for Professional and Applied Ethics, and is a life deacon in his church, having served as chair of the board of deacons.
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1977
- B.A., Wofford College, 1974
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Named to the “North Carolina Super Lawyers the Top 100″ 2013 & 2013 editions – General Litigation
- Named to the “North Carolina Super Lawyers” 2009-2017 editions – General Litigation
- Named Business North Carolina “Legal Elite” 2009-2011 editions – Criminal and Litigation
- Named to the 2009-2018 editions of “The Best Lawyers in America” by Best Lawyers® – Bet The Company Litigation and Commercial Litigation
- Named to the 2015-2018 editions of “The Best Lawyers in America” by Best Lawyers® – Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Received the North Carolina Chief Justice’s LAP award in 2006
- Received the Mecklenburg Medical Society Alliances’s James Gray Cannon Award in 2005
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation and Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 2016 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- JMD Attorney Elected Board President of Mecklenburg Bar Foundation
- 2015 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 2015 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- 2014 class of the Bar Leadership Institute
- Super Lawyers 2014 and Rising Stars 2014
- JMD Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers in America for 2014