Preston O. Odom, III
Preston hails from Tallahassee, Florida, and completed his first year of undergraduate studies at the United States Air Force Academy. He transferred to Florida State University, where he graduated in 1993 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History.
Preston attended law school at the Florida State University College of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review and The Order of the Coif. He received his Juris Doctor degree in 1997, magna cum laude.
Preston began his legal career with the Supreme Court of Florida, where he served as a law clerk for two different Justices. He joined James, McElroy & Diehl in September 2000 and became a shareholder in June 2005.
Preston focuses on appellate practice and trial-level litigation support in numerous areas of the law, both civil and criminal. In this vein, he is a North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in Appellate Practice; a member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Appellate Rules Committee; and a Council member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Appellate Practice Section.
- J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Florida State University College of Law, 1997
- B.A., History, Florida State University, 1993
Bar & Court Admissions
- Florida State Bar
- North Carolina State Bar
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Co-authored with Charles M. “Casey” Viser an article entitled “The Need for Speed: New Rule 702(i) of the North Carolina Rules of Evidence,” which was published in the February 2007 edition of The True Bill, the newsletter of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Criminal Justice Section.
- Named to the “North Carolina Super Lawyers” 2013-2018 edition – Appellate
- Named to the 2016 and 2018-2019 edition of “The Best Lawyers in America” by Best Lawyers® – Appellate Practice
- Best Lawyers’ 2019 Charlotte Appellate Practice “Lawyer of the Year.”
- Named Business North Carolina “Legal Elite” 2018 edition – Appellate