Adam L. Ross
A practicing litigator in Charlotte since 2003, Adam Ross earned his Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law. He joined James, McElroy & Diehl immediately following law school, and became a partner in the firm in 2008.
Adam handles a wide variety of complex civil litigation matters, including business disputes, catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death, shareholder conflicts, real property disputes, securities litigation, insurance coverage disputes, contract disputes, and employment matters – with a special focus on conflicts related to covenants not to compete. A significant portion of Adam’s practice also includes representing automobile dealerships, and professional motorsports team owners and drivers (NASCAR, NHRA, and AMA) in various litigation matters.
Adam recognizes that his clients seek both a strong advocate and a frank and honest advisor. While litigation is sometimes unavoidable, Adam works with clients (both individuals and businesses) to find ways to resolve disputes before they escalate to litigation, and takes pride in helping his clients make smart business decisions designed to protect their bottom line.
Adam is peer review rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell, and was named a Super Lawyer in Business Litigation by North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine in 2018-2020. He was previously named as a “Rising Star” by North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine each year from 2011-2017, in addition to being named to Business North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” in 2020, 2019 and 2016 for Litigation.
Adam has argued on multiple occasions before the North Carolina Court of Appeals, and is admitted to practice before all North Carolina state trial, appellate and federal courts.
- Brett Frood | President, Stewart-Haas Racing: “Adam Ross has been a trusted partner of our organization for many years, providing us with guidance and professional acumen during several challenging circumstances. His approach is always pragmatic, ethically sound, and results-driven. Adam prepares meticulously and immerses himself in the nuances of the business he is representing. We are proud to call him a friend and partner.”
- Denise Abood: “Adam Ross is a top-notch attorney. He consistently demonstrates the knowledge, communication, perseverance, promptness and attention to detail critical in successfully resolving conflicts – even in high-stress situations with malicious counter parties. Adam gained my trust early on and that trust has only grown. I consider Adam a trusted advisor and confidant.”
- Sherry Shaw: “Adam Ross’ legal skills are unprecedented. He successfully resolved a corporate family dispute in my favor. When faced with uncooperative counsel and defendants, he never wavered. He communicated with me promptly, clearly and often, always making sure I was informed. Calm, confident and encouraging, Adam is the ideal partner during a legal dispute. I would highly recommend Adam to represent me in any dispute.”
- Coy R. Gibbs | President, Joe Gibbs Racing, Motocross: “Unfortunately, I recently had an incident arise that caused me to seek the services of a litigator. Adam Ross of James, McEIroy and Diehl provided me with expert guidance, and I was able to reach a satisfactory settlement with the offending party without having to go to trial. Adam was always very professional and assisted me in fully understanding the process, as well as how best to keep the legal fees as low as possible. While it is never pleasant for either party to be involved in any kind of legal dispute, if you find yourself in that situation, I wholeheartedly recommend Adam Ross and the whole team at James, McElroy & Diehl.”
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 2003
- B.A., Psychology, with Distinction, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- United States District Court, for the Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg Bar Association
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite in Litigation, 2016, 2019 and 2020
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite “Young Gun” (Best Under 40), 2012
- North Carolina Super Lawyer in Business Litigation, 2018-2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyer “Rising Star” in Business Litigation, 2011-2018
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, 2008
- AV® Preeminent™ rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Latest Update: JMD and COVID-19
- Super Lawyers Includes James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys in 2020 Rankings
- Business North Carolina Selects James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys for 2020 Legal Elite
- Eleven James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys Named 2019 N.C. Super Lawyers
- James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys Selected by Business North Carolina as 2019 Legal Elite
- Super Lawyers & Rising Stars 2017
- 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 2016 list of Legal Elite published by Business North Carolina magazine
- 2015 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Royalties for moonshine recipes
- Super Lawyers 2014 and Rising Stars 2014
- Nine JMD Attorneys Included on 2013 NC Super Lawyers List
- Nine JMD Attorneys Named To NC Super Lawyers® 2012