Catherine A. Barnes
Catherine Barnes received her Bachelor of Arts in history summa cum laude from Salem State College in Massachusetts and her Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law.
At James, McElroy and Diehl, Catherine’s practice covers representation of closely held businesses across many industries in various matters, including: formation and continuation planning; representation during sale and acquisition of assets or stock; review and negotiation of contracts and leases; counseling with regard to employment matters, lender issues, shareholder issues, covenants not to compete, business ventures; and a variety of other issues.
She also provides ongoing counseling and representation of real estate developers in matters such as: negotiations with lenders, commercial leases and development agreements, title, zoning issues and related matters.
Catherine serves as the Managing Partner of James, McElroy & Diehl.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 1995
- B.A., History, Salem State College, 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Named to the 2016, 2018, and 2019 edition of “The Best Lawyers in America” by Best Lawyers® – Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Named to the 2019 edition of “The Best Lawyers in America” by Best Lawyers® – Real Estate Law
- Best Lawyers in America© 2020 Honors Nine James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys
- Blumenthal Performing Arts Spotlights James, McElroy & Diehl Sponsorship Initiative
- 2019 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- Catherine Barnes chosen as one of the 2016 Fifty Most Influential Women
- 2016 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- Women in the Legal Field
- Catherine Barnes to succeed Pender McElroy as Managing Partner