Catherine A. Barnes
For more than 25 years, Catherine’s practice has covered representation of closely held businesses across many industries in various matters, including formation and continuation planning; representation during sale and acquisition of assets or stock; review and negotiation of contracts and leases; counseling with regard to employment matters, lender issues, shareholder issues, covenants not to compete, business ventures; and a variety of other issues.
She also provides ongoing counseling and representation of real estate developers in matters such as: negotiations with lenders, commercial leases and development agreements, title, zoning issues and related matters.
Catherine serves as the Managing Partner of James, McElroy & Diehl.
She received her Bachelor of Arts in history summa cum laude from Salem State College and her Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 1995
- B.A., History, Salem State College, 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Named to the 2016 and 2018-2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in America© by Best Lawyers® – Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Named to the 2019-2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in America© by Best Lawyers® – Real Estate Law
- The Mecklenburg Times, 50 Most Influential Women
- Best Lawyers in America© 2024 Honors James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys
- Best Lawyers in America© 2023 Honors James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys
- Catherine Barnes Featured in Business North Carolina’s Power List 2021 Magazine
- Latest Update: JMD and COVID-19
- Paycheck Protection Program vs. Economic Injury Disaster Loans | At-A-Glance
- U.S. News-Best Lawyers Ranks James, McElroy & Diehl as a 2020 “Best Law Firm”
- Best Lawyers in America© 2020 Honors Nine James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys
- Blumenthal Performing Arts Spotlights James, McElroy & Diehl Sponsorship Initiative
- 2019 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- Catherine Barnes chosen as one of the 2016 Fifty Most Influential Women
- 2016 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- Women in the Legal Field
- Catherine Barnes to succeed Pender McElroy as Managing Partner