Gena Graham Morris
Gena grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina and has practiced family law in Mecklenburg and surrounding counties for more than 26 years. Certified by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization as a Specialist in family law since 1997, Gena is also a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
Gena has served two terms on the North Carolina Bar Association Family Law Council. She has also served as Treasurer of the North Carolina American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. In 2019, she began serving a three-year term for the 26th Judicial District (Mecklenburg County) of the North Carolina State Bar Council, which governs the practice of law in North Carolina.
A regular speaker on family law issues, Gena has made countless presentations at Continuing Legal Education seminars. In addition, for more than 25 years, Gena has volunteered representing children as a Guardian ad Litem for the Council for Children’s Rights and its predecessor, the Children’s Law Center.
A graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the Campbell University School of Law, Gena practiced Family Law at Horack, Talley, Pharr & Lowndes for 18 years before joining James, McElroy and Diehl.
- J.D., Campbell University School of Law, 1992
- B.A., English and Political Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- North Carolina Chapter, Executive Committee, 2015
- North Carolina Chapter, Treasurer, 2015
North Carolina Bar Association
- Certified Family Law Specialist, NC State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, since 1997
- Family Law Section, former two-term Council member
- North Carolina State Bar Councilor for the 26th Judicial District
Mecklenburg County Bar
- Guardian Ad Litem for Council for Children’s Rights
- Guardian Ad Litem for Children’s Law Center
- AV® Preeminent™ rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, Family Law, 2008, 2011, 2013-2018
- North Carolina Super Lawyers in Family Law, 2006-2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers – Top 50 Women, 2010-2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers – Top 100, 2015
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite in Family Law, 2016-2018