Jennifer M. Houti
For almost ten years, Jennifer Houti has practiced civil litigation of all types in North Carolina, South Carolina, and New York, concentrating on business disputes and complex personal injury cases.
While no one ever plans on being caught up in expensive, time-consuming disputes with business partners, competitors, employees, or anyone else, Jennifer helps clients find practical, cost-effective solutions to the issues they face. Jennifer uses a level-headed approach to the law to ensure that she is always an advocate for her clients, not an obstacle.
Jennifer works with business clients to find business solutions before a lawsuit is filed, but isn’t afraid to take on the opposition when a lawsuit can’t be avoided. In litigation, Jennifer uses her experience and in-depth knowledge of the law to create a strong, effective litigation strategy that places the client in the best position possible – whether for settlement or trial.
Recently recognized by North Carolina Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Personal Injury Litigation, Jennifer pairs drive and tenacity with her compassion for her clients and her passion for justice. When clients have been involved in serious accidents or suffered mistreatment by a healthcare provider, Jennifer is there to help.
Jennifer puts the time and effort into each case to explore all avenues of recovery and hold all responsible parties liable – even when that means taking on large, nationwide companies. Whether dealing with an insurance company prior to filing a lawsuit or representing clients in trial, Jennifer is a constant advocate for her clients.
Born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina, Jennifer received a Bachelor of Arts in political science and Spanish from the University of South Carolina’s Honor College. Jennifer went on to earn her Juris Doctor and an L.L.M. in international and comparative law from Duke University School of Law. After law school, Jennifer began her practice as an associate at a law firm in New York, NY before relocating to North Carolina and joining James, McElroy & Diehl in 2014. She speaks Spanish and has studied law in Barcelona, Spain and in Geneva, Switzerland.
Jennifer and her husband have a rambunctious toddler and a lazy dog at their home in Stallings, Union County. She’s lived abroad in Barcelona, Spain and Edinburgh, Scotland, is an avid reader, and enjoys yoga, traveling and horseback riding.
- J.D. and L.L.M., cum laude, Duke University School of Law, 2010
- B.A., summa cum laude, Honors College at the University of South Carolina, 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- New York State Bar
- South Carolina State Bar
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Personal Injury Litigation, 2020
- Latest Update: JMD and COVID-19
- Super Lawyers Includes James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys in 2020 Rankings
- Fight Caught on Camera at Stuart Cramer HS Leads to Lawsuit (WSOC, Nov. 11, 2019)
- $7 Million Jury Award Secured by James, McElroy & Diehl on Behalf of NC Trooper Injured in I-40 Bus Crash
- JMD attorneys present at CLE
- JM&D Welcomes Two New Associates.