Jon R. Burns
Jon Burns has been litigating for more than a decade, with a practice that currently focuses on family law, criminal law, and civil litigation. Jon handles a wide variety of legal issues, from divorce, equitable distribution, alimony, and child custody, to domestic violence, criminal investigations, and serious felony matters. This diversity of practice offers clients the unique opportunity to gain comprehensive legal advice regarding the complex problems that may arise in their personal and professional lives.
Before joining the firm, Jon served for more than five years as an assistant district attorney in Iredell and Alexander counties. While there, he gained valuable trial experience and worked hard to develop his trial advocacy skills. As lead counsel for the State, he achieved conviction after trial by jury in many different types of cases, including murder, theft, drug trafficking, methamphetamine manufacture, and impaired driving.
Raised in Charlotte, Jon received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism and in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Directly thereafter, he continued to live and work in Chapel Hill while he earned his Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 2009
- B.A., Political Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2006
- B.A., Journalism/News Writing-Editorial sequence, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2006
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- American Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- North Carolina Bar Association, Family Law Section
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Criminal Defense Section and New Lawyers Division