Jonathan D. Feit
Jonathan Feit has almost 20 years of experience in all aspects of Family Law. Deftly navigating complex hearings in the courtroom or before an Arbitrator, negotiating on behalf of his clients and giving direct and practical advice, Jonathan’s primary practice areas involve divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, domestic violence, and equitable distribution.
Widely recognized as a top Family Law attorney both in Charlotte and across the State, Jonathan has been consistently honored in Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite, Best Lawyers® “The Best Lawyers in America,” Super Lawyers, and rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell. He was also recently named Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Family Law for 2020.
Jonathan is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars throughout North Carolina for family law lawyers; volunteers for a number of non-profit organizations in the area; serves on the Board of Trustees and the Development Committee for the Blumenthal Performing Arts; and is a presenter for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Academic Internship Program.
He received his Bachelor of Arts from Auburn University and his Juris Doctorate from the University of Tennessee College of Law. Jonathan clerked for the Mecklenburg County, North Carolina District & Superior Court Judges in 1999 and joined James, McElroy & Diehl in 2001.
An avid sports fan, Jonathan enjoys spending time with his family, traveling and playing golf.
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, 2001
- B.A., Auburn University, 1996
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Family Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association Family Law Council (2014-2017 year term)
- North Carolina Bar Association 2017-2018 Family Law Council Equitable Distribution Committee, Co-Chair
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- AV® Preeminent™ rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Family Law, 2020
- Best Lawyers® The Best Lawyers in America© in Family Law, 2019-2021
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite in Family Law, 2008 and 2012-2019
- Law & Politics Magazine’s “Super Lawyers” in Family Law, 2014-2020
- Law & Politics Magazine’s “North Carolina Super Lawyers – Rising Star” in Family Law, 2009 and 2011-2013
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, 2006
- Latest Update: JMD and COVID-19
- Custody and Visitation Recommendations During COVID-19
- Super Lawyers Includes James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys in 2020 Rankings
- Charlotte Agenda Features Family Law Attorneys Jonathan Feit and Caroline Mitchell
- Jonathan Feit Named Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers®
- Best Lawyers in America© 2020 Honors Nine James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys
- Blumenthal Performing Arts Spotlights James, McElroy & Diehl Sponsorship Initiative
- Eleven James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys Named 2019 N.C. Super Lawyers
- James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys Selected by Business North Carolina as 2019 Legal Elite
- 2019 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- 2018 list of Legal Elite published by Business North Carolina magazine
- 2017 list of Legal Elite published by Business North Carolina magazine
- Super Lawyers & Rising Stars 2017
- 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 2016 list of Legal Elite published by Business North Carolina magazine
- 2015 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Jonathan Feit elected to Family Law Section Council of the N.C.B.A.
- 2014 list of Legal Elite published by Business North Carolina magazine
- Super Lawyers 2014 and Rising Stars 2014
- Nine JMD Attorneys Included on 2013 NC Super Lawyers List
- Nine JMD Attorneys Named To NC Super Lawyers® 2012