Kavita C. Desai
Drawing from more than 10 years of experience practicing law, Kavita Desai helps clients navigate issues related to family law, including divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support and equitable distribution. Kavita also fights for clients who have been the victims of sexual assault and sexual harassment through civil litigation.
Before joining James, McElroy and Diehl, Kavita clerked for Justice Wallace of the Supreme Court of New Jersey, and then practiced as a litigation associate at a law firm in New York, NY. She subsequently moved to Houston, TX, where she served as a staff attorney at a children’s rights nonprofit organization.
Originally from southern Illinois, Kavita received a Bachelor of Arts in history and women’s studies from Barnard College, Columbia University. She went on to earn her Juris Doctor from Rutgers School of Law – Newark.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Rutgers School of Law – Newark, 2008
- B.A., magna cum laude, Barnard College, Columbia University, 2002
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Latest Update: JMD and COVID-19
- Custody and Visitation Recommendations During COVID-19
- ‘I think it was a system failure’ | CMS sued as volunteer faces several sex crime charges (WCNC, Aug. 22, 2019)
- Family Sues CMS Following Sexual Assault Claims (Spectrum News, Aug. 22, 2019)
- Lawsuit Challenges CMS Scrutiny Of Volunteers, Vendors (WFAE, Aug. 22, 2019)
- Parents say CMS got wind of volunteer – long before police say he abused their child (Charlotte Observer, Aug. 20, 2019)