Preston O. Odom, III
Preston Odom focuses on appellate practice and trial-level litigation support in numerous areas of the law, both civil and criminal. In this vein, he is a North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in Appellate Practice; the Chair of the North Carolina State Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization Appellate Practice Specialty Committee; a member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Appellate Rules Committee; and former Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Appellate Practice Section.
Preston hails from Tallahassee, Florida, and completed his first year of undergraduate studies at the United States Air Force Academy. He transferred to Florida State University, where he graduated in 1993 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History.
Preston attended law school at the Florida State University College of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review and The Order of the Coif. He received his Juris Doctor degree in 1997, magna cum laude.
Preston began his legal career with the Supreme Court of Florida, where he served as a law clerk for two different Justices. He joined James, McElroy & Diehl in September 2000 and became a shareholder in June 2005.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Florida State University College of Law, 1997
- B.A., History, Florida State University, 1993
Bar & Court Admissions
- Florida State Bar
- North Carolina State Bar
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in Appellate Practice
- North Carolina State Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization, Appellate Practice Specialty Committee Chairman
- North Carolina Bar Association, Appellate Rules Committee, and former Chair, Appellate Practice Section
- Best Lawyers® Charlotte Appellate Practice “Lawyer of the Year” for 2019
- Best Lawyers® The Best Lawyers in America© in Appellate Practice, 2016 and 2018-2020
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite in Appellate, 2018 and 2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyer in Appellate, 2013-2019
- Co-authored with Charles M. “Casey” Viser an article entitled “The Need for Speed: New Rule 702(i) of the North Carolina Rules of Evidence,” which was published in the February 2007 edition of The True Bill, the newsletter of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Criminal Justice Section
- Best Lawyers in America© 2020 Honors Nine James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys
- Eleven James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys Named 2019 N.C. Super Lawyers
- James, McElroy & Diehl Attorneys Selected by Business North Carolina as 2019 Legal Elite
- 2019 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- 2018 list of Legal Elite published by Business North Carolina magazine
- 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 2016 Best Lawyers – several JM&D attorneys have been selected
- 2015 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars